Lemon bars studded with fresh raspberries ~
I’m so in love with these bars, to me they taste like the perfect spring time treat! They have a sweet shortbread base and a tart, zesty lemon layer bursting with raspberries. These are one of my favourite things I’ve baked recently, so if you try making them I would love to know how you get on.
For the base –
1 cup plain flour
2/3 cup sugar
60g/ 2oz/ 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes
For the raspberry layer-
1 cup raspberries
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp sugar
For the lemon layer –
zest and juice of 2 lemons
1/2 cup – 1 cup sugar*
1/2 cup plain flour
* I only used half a cup of sugar as I wanted a really tart zingy lemon flavour. If you prefer your lemon desserts a little sweeter, I would go for a whole cup of sugar.
makes approx 9 bars
To make the shortbread base –
– Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4 and grease a 7″ square tin.
– In a food processor (or with your fingertips) pulse (or rub) together the flour, sugar, salt and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
– Press the shortbread mixture into the bottom of the baking tin and bake for 15 minutes before adding the topping.
To make the topping –
– Gently mix together the raspberry, cornflour and sugar than scatter on top of the shortbread.
– Whisk together the lemon, eggs, sugar and flour and pour an even layer on top of the raspberries
– Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until the lemon layer is cooked all the way through.
– Leave to cool before cutting into squares.