Blueberry Kitchen has moved! Please come and visit me at my new home myblueberrykitchen.com
Fudgy chocolate cupcakes topped with a luxurious chocolate fudge frosting ~
For the cupcakes –
100g/ 3 1/2 oz dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
50g/ 2oz/ 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
120g/ 4oz/ 3/4 cup soft light brown sugar
120g/ 4oz/ 3/4 cup plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
100ml/ 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the icing –
100g/ 3 1/2 oz dark chocolate
60g/ 2oz/ 1/2 stick unsalted butter
175g/ 6oz 1 1/4 cup icing sugar/ powdered sugar
50ml/ 1/4 cup whole milk
makes approx 6 cupcakes
To make the cupcakes –
– Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
– Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Leave to cool.
– Whisk together the butter, sugar and egg until smooth and creamy.
– Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt.
– Whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla, then fold in the melted chocolate until just combined.
– Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases, filling each one about 2/3 full.
– Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and cooked all the way through.
– Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting –
– Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Leave for a minute or two to cool slightly.
– Gradually add the icing sugar and milk, whisking each time until you have a really smooth, thick and creamy constituency.
– Leave the icing to cool completely before piping on to the cupcakes.