Blueberry Kitchen has moved! Please come and visit me at my new home myblueberrykitchen.com
Delicate rose cupcakes with a raspberry rose buttercream ~
Mother’s Day has already been and gone here in the UK, but I know it’s coming up soon in the US and Canada and these cupcakes could make a perfect mother’s day treat. The cupcakes are light and moist with a subtle rose flavour and they’re topped with a really creamy buttercream frosting that gets its pretty pale pink colour just from the raspberry jam – no food colouring required.
For the cupcakes –
30g/ 1 oz/ 1/4 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
110g/ 4 oz/ 2/3 cup sugar
120g/ 4 oz/ 3/4 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
75ml/ 1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp rosewater (or to taste)
For the buttercream –
2 tbsp raspberry jam
50g/ 2oz/ 1/2 stick butter
175g/ 6oz/ 1 1/4 cup icing sugar/ powdered sugar
1/2 tsp rosewater
3 tbsp milk
makes approx 6 cupcakes
To make the cupcakes –
– Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4 and line a cupcake or muffin tin with cupcake cases.
– Whisk together the butter, sugar and egg until really smooth and creamy.
– Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt until just combined.
– Whisk in the milk and rosewater.
– Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases, filling each one about 2/3 full.
– Bake for about 25 minutes until risen and golden brown.
– Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the icing –
– Heat the raspberry jam in a pan for a couple of minutes until it softens (or you could even just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds.) Strain the jam through a fine meshed sieve and leave to cool.
– Whisk together the butter, rosewater, milk, jam and half of the icing sugar until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the rest of the sugar, whisking continuously. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
P.S. Just to let you know I am trying to change my blog to self hosted at the moment, so if you have any problems with my site loading or looking strange that will probably be why. I’m already beyond confused with it, so it may take days, years etc to get it sorted, but if you can’t find my blog here I may be over at my new home – myblueberrykitchen.