Hey, hope you all had a great weekend! As I believe you can never have enough cupcake recipes, I’ve got another one for you today. Light and fluffy lime and greek yogurt cupcakes are filled with zesty homemade lime curd and topped with ribbons of freshly whipped cream.
For the cupcakes –
30g/ 1 oz/ 1/4 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
130g/ 4 1/2 oz/ 3/4 cup sugar
120g/ 4 1/4oz/ 3/4 cup plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
zest and juice of 1/2 a lime
60ml/ 2 fl oz/ 1/4 cup whole milk
2 tbsp greek yogurt
For the lime curd –
60g/ 2 oz/ 1/2 stick unsalted butter
100g/ 3 1/2oz/ 2/3 cup sugar
zest and juice of 1 1/2 limes
1 egg yolk
1/2 tbsp cornflour
For the Whipped Cream –
200ml/ 1/3 pint/ 1 cup double cream/ heavy cream
1-2 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
makes approx 6 cupcakes
To make the cupcakes –
– Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tin with cases.
– Whisk together the butter, sugar and egg until smooth and creamy.
– Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt.
– Whisk in the lime juice, zest, yogurt and milk.
– Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases, filling each one about 2/3 full.
– Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden.
– Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
– Once cooled cut a hole about 1″ square from the centre of each cupcake and fill with lime curd.
To make the lime curd –
– In a heavy based saucepan gently heat the butter, sugar, lime juice and zest until melted.
– In a separate bowl beat the eggs and cornflour together until light and creamy.
– Gradually whisk the lime butter mixture in to the beaten eggs.
– Return to mixture to the saucepan and cook on a low heat, stirring regularly, until it thickens. Leave to cool before spooning into each cupcake.
To make the topping –
– Whisk together the cream and sugar until soft peaks form.
– Pipe or spoon the cream on to the top of each cupcake.