Brown sugar cupcakes bursting with apple pieces and topped with a swiss meringue buttercream frosting –
For the cupcakes –
120g/ 4oz/ 1 cup cooking apples, cored, peeled and cut into cubes
1 tbsp lemon juice
55g/ 2oz/ 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
100g/ 3 1/2 oz/ 2/3 cup soft light brown sugar
100g/ 3 1/2 oz/ 2/3 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
60ml/ 2fl oz/ 1/4 cup whole milk
For the buttercream (adapted from here) –
2 egg whites
60g/ 2oz/ 1/3 cup soft light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
80g/ 3 oz/ 3/4 stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes
makes approx 7 cupcakes
To make the cupcakes –
– Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4.
– Line a muffin tin with cupcakes cases.
– Mix together the chopped apple and lemon juice in a bowl, then set aside.
– Whisk together the melted butter, sugar and egg until smooth and creamy.
– Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt.
– Gently whisk in the milk.
– Fold in the chopped apple.
– Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling each case about 3/4 full.
– Bake for approximately 30 minutes until the cakes are risen and golden brown.
– Cool the cakes on a wire rack before icing.
To make the frosting –
– Put the sugar and egg whites in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is heated all the way through.
– Remove from the heat and keep whisking until the bottom of the bowl feels completely cool.
– Gradually add the butter, whisking constantly and whisk until the mixture starts to form peaks.
– Pipe on to the cooled cupcakes and enjoy!