Vanilla coffee cupcakes spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and topped with a silky buttercream frosting ~
For the cupcakes –
40g/ 1 1/2oz/ 3 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
120/ 4 1/4oz/ 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
120g/ 4 1/4oz/ 1 cup plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3 tbsp strong black coffee
60ml/ 2fl oz/ 1/4 cup whole milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing –
200g/ 7oz/ 1 1/2 cup icing sugar/ powdered sugar
50g/ 2oz/ 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp whole milk
1 tbsp strong black coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
makes 5-6 cupcakes
To make the cupcakes –
– Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4.
– Line a cupcake or muffin tin with cupcakes cases.
– Whisk together the butter, sugar and egg until smooth and creamy.
– Fold in the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
– Whisk in the milk, coffee and vanilla.
– Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling each case about 3/4 full.
– Bake for about 25 minutes until the cakes are risen and cooked all the way through.
– Cool the cakes on a wire rack before icing.
To make the frosting
– Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together until smooth and creamy.
– Pipe a generous amount of frosting onto each cake.
– Dust with cinnamon and nutmeg.