Blueberry Kitchen has moved! Please come and visit me at my new home myblueberrykitchen.com
Chocolate cupcakes drizzled with salted caramel and topped with a salted caramel buttercream frosting ~
For the cupcakes –
40g/ 1 1/2oz/ 3 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
135g/ 4 3/4oz/ 1 cup soft brown sugar
120g/ 4 1/4oz/ 1 cup plain flour
30g/ 1oz/ 1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
100ml/ 3 1/2 fl oz/ 1/2 cup whole milk
For the salted caramel –
35g/ 1 1/4 oz/ 2 tbsp unsalted butter
50g/ 1 3/4oz/ 1/4 cup soft brown sugar
25g / 1oz/ 1 tbsp golden syrup (or corn syrup if you can’t get golden syrup)
50ml/ 1 1/2 fl oz/ 1/4 cup double cream
1 tsp sea salt
For the icing –
225g/ 8oz/ 1 3/4 cup icing sugar/ powdered sugar
55g/ 2oz/ 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp whole milk
4 tablespoons salted caramel sauce + extra for drizzling
makes approx 6 cupcakes
To make the cupcakes –
– Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4.
– Line a cupcake or muffin tin with cupcakes cases.
– Whisk together the butter, sugar and egg until smooth and creamy.
– Fold in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
– Gently whisk in the milk until just combined.
– Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling each case about 3/4 full.
– Bake for about 25 minutes until the cakes are risen and cooked all the way through.
– Cool the cakes on a wire rack before icing.
To make the salted caramel sauce –
– Melt the butter, sugar and syrup on a low heat in a heavy based saucepan. Turn up to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the cream and salt and cook for another minute.
– Leave to cool.
To make the frosting –
= Before frosting drizzle a little caramel sauce on to the top of each cake.
– Whisk together the butter, sugar, milk and caramel until smooth and creamy.
– Spoon or pipe a generous amount of frosting onto each cake.