Dark chocolate brownies with white chocolate chunks and a custard cream filling ~
These brownies are definitely not the most photogenic and I so nearly didn’t post them because of it. In the end though the taste won me over and I decided they were too yummy not to share! The brownies have a really rich dark chocolate taste, a fudgey texture, white chocolate chunks and a creamy custard filling.
For the brownies
100g/ 3 1/2oz/ 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes
100g/ 3 1/2oz dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
175g/ 6 1/4oz/ 1 1/4 cups soft brown sugar
50g/ 1 3/4oz/ 1/3 cup plain flour
35g/ 1 1/4oz/ 1/4 cup cocoa powder
50g white chocolate, thinly sliced into small pieces
For the custard cream filling –
150ml/ 1/4 pint/ 3/4 cup double cream
1 tsp vanilla paste
2 egg yolks
10g caster sugar/ 1/2oz/ 1tbsp
To make the cream Filling –
– Put the cream and vanilla in a small heavy based saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
– In a heatproof bowl beat together the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the warmed cream mixture.
– Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir the cream mixture continuously until it thickens. Leave to cool.
To make the brownies –
– Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4 and grease a 7″ square tin.
– Place the dark chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl, over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Leave to melt, stirring occasionally. Once melted remove from the heat and leave to cool.
– In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
– Fold in the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
– Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture, followed by the chopped white chocolate.
– Spoon half the brownie mixture into the bottom of the baking tin and smooth over the top. Then spread the cooled custard cream over the top of the brownie mix in the tin. Finally add the rest of the brownie mixture to the top and smooth over.
– Bake for approx for 25 minutes (or slightly less, if like me you like a really under baked brownie!)