~ Coffee and walnut cupcakes with a coffee buttercream frosting
For the cupcakes –
50g/ 1.75oz/ 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
120g/ 4 1/4oz/ 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
4tbsp strong black coffee
80g/ 2 3/4 oz/ 2/3 cup plain flour
50g/ 1 3/4oz/ 1/2 cup walnuts
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
60ml/ 2fl oz/ 1/4 cup whole milk
For the icing –
50g/ 1 3/4oz/ 4tbsp unsalted butter
200g/ 7oz/ 1 1/2 cups icing/ powdered sugar
3 tbsp Black Coffee
optional – walnut halves for decorating
makes approx 6 cupcakes
To make the cupcakes –
– Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4.
– Line a cupcake or muffin tin with cupcakes cases.
– Whisk together the butter, sugar and coffee.
– Whisk in the egg until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
– Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt.
– Whisk in the milk until well combined.
– Finely grind the walnuts in a food processor or seed grinder, then fold into the mixture.
– Spoon the cake batter into the cupcake cases, filling each case about 3/4 full.
– Bake for approx 25 minutes until the cakes are risen and springy.
– Cool the cakes on a wire rack before icing.
To make the frosting –
– Whisk together the butter, sugar and coffee until smooth and creamy
– Spoon the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe a generous amount of frosting onto each cake. Decorate with walnut halves.