I’ve been on a major salted caramel kick recently, so expect to see lots of caramel recipes coming up in the next few days! The first is these very yummy salted caramel cupcakes –
For the salted caramel –
35g/ 2 tbsp unsalted butter
50g/ 1/4 cup soft brown sugar
25g / 1 tbsp golden syrup
50ml/ 1/4 cup double cream
1 tsp sea salt
For the cupcakes –
40g/ 1 1/2oz/ 1/3 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
100g/ 1/2 cup soft light brown sugar
100ml/ 1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
120g/ 1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
75g/ 5 tbsp salted caramel sauce
For the frosting –
225g/ 1 3/4 cup icing sugar/ powdered sugar
55g/ 2oz/ 1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp whole milk
4 tablespoons salted caramel sauce + extra for drizzling on top
– makes approx 6 cupcakes
To make the salted caramel sauce –
– Melt the butter, sugar and syrup on a low heat in a heavy based saucepan. Turn up to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the cream and salt and cook for another minute.
– Leave to cool.
To make the cupcakes –
– Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4 and line a cupcake or muffin tin with cupcake cases.
– Cream together the butter and sugar.
– Whisk in the egg until the mixture is light and creamy.
– Whisk in the milk and vanilla.
– Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt.
– Stir in the salted caramel sauce.
– Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases, filling each one about 2/3 full.
– Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown.
– Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting –
– Whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl until creamy.
– Pipe or spread the icing onto the cooled cupcakes and drizzle with more of the salted caramel sauce.