~ chocolate cupcakes with a coffee buttercream frosting ~
For the chocolate cupcakes (adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days) –
40g/ 2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
140g/ 1 cup soft brown sugar
110ml/ 1/2 cup whole milk
100g/ 3/4 cup plain flour
25g/ 1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
For the coffee frosting –
100g/ 1/2 cup butter
220g/ 1 3/4 icing/powdered sugar
3 tbsp strong black coffee
makes 6-10 cupcakes
To make the cupcakes –
– Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 370°F/ gas mark 5.
– Line a cupcake or muffin tin with cupcakes cases.
– Beat together the butter and sugar.
– Whisk in the egg until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
– Whisk in the milk until well combined.
– Mix in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
– Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling each case about 3/4 full.
– Bake for approx 20 minutes until the cakes are risen and springy.
– Cool the cakes on a wire rack before icing.
To make the frosting –
– Whisk together the butter, sugar and coffee until smooth and creamy
– Spoon the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe a generous amount of frosting onto each cake.