For the pastry –
220g/ 1 1/2 cups plain flour
20g/ 1 tbsp ground almonds
40g/ 2 tbsp icing/powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
140g/ 2/3 cup (1 1/4 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 egg yolk
1/2 – 1 tbsp cold water
For the creme legere –
200ml/ 1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
2 egg yolks
60g/ 1/4 cup + 1/2 tbsp sugar
20g/ 1 tbsp flour
100 ml/ 1/2 cup double/heavy cream
For the topping
approx 200g/ 2 cups strawberries, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tsp icing sugar
To make the pastry –
– Pulse together the flour, ground almonds, icing sugar and salt
– Add the butter and process together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
– Add egg yolk, vanilla and 1/2 tbsp water and pulse until the mixture comes together. (Gradually add more water if needed.)
– Turn the dough onto a work surface and knead lightly. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for one hour.
– Roll out the dough and a line a lightly greased tart tin with it.
– Chill for another 1/2 hour.
– Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4
– Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes.
– Remove the paper and beans and cook for another 10-15 minutes until pastry is golden.
– Leave to cool.
To make the creme legere –
– Heat the milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste in a heavy based saucepan. Cook on a medium heat and bring to just under the boil.
– Whisk together the eggs, flour and 50g/ 1/4 cup of the sugar in a separate bowl until smooth and creamy. Gradually and the milk, whisking well.
– Return the mixture to the saucepan and bring to the boil, whisking all the time. Turn the heat down slightly and whisk for another minute
– Pour the mixture into a clean bowl and cover with cling film to prevent a skin forming. Leave to cool.
– Whisk the double cream with rest of the vanilla and sugar until thick and fluffy.
– Fold into the cold creme patissiere mixture and then use it to fill the chilled tart pastry.
For the strawberry topping –
– Lightly mix together the strawberries, orange juice and icing sugar and leave for a few minutes.
– Fill the tart with the sliced strawberries.