Time for the first ever savoury recipe on Blueberry Kitchen! This tuna quiche is really easy to make, even with the homemade pastry and could make a great weeknight family meal. I served it with crusty french bread and a fresh green salad.
For the pastry -
225g/ 8oz plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
120g/ 4 1/2oz unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
1 egg yolk
5 tbsp cold water
For the quiche filling -
1 small onion
1 400g/ 14oz tin of tuna, drained
150ml milk or cream (I used a combination of the two)
100g/ 3 1/2oz cheddar cheese, grated
To make the pastry -
- Pulse the flour, salt and cubed butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and water and process until the mixture comes together.
- Turn the dough onto a work surface and knead lightly. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4 and lightly grease an 8″ flan tin.
- Roll out the chilled dough and a line the tin with it. Chill for another half an hour.
- Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and baking beans. Bake blind for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and fill.
To make the filling -
- Turn the oven up to 190°C/ 370°F/ gas mark 5
- Finely chop the onion and fry for about 5 minutes until it softens.
- Spread the onion onto the bottom of the quiche base, then add the tuna on top.
- Beat together the eggs and cream or milk until creamy and well combined. Add about half the cheese to the egg mixture and then pour into the quiche. Cover with the rest of the grated cheese.
- Return the quiche to the oven and bake for about another 30 minutes, until the filling has set.
- Eat warm or cold.