Vanilla cupcakes with a raspberry and cream filling, fresh raspberries and a creamy frosting
For the cupcakes (adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days) -
40g/ 1 1/2oz/ 1/3 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
100g/ 1/2 cup soft light brown sugar
100ml/ 1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
120g/ 1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
For the topping and filling -
200ml/ 1 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla paste
2 egg yolks
60g/ 1/4 cup + 1/2 tbsp sugar
20g/ 1 tbsp flour
100 ml/ 1/2 cup double/heavy cream
1-2 tbsp raspberry jam
handful fresh raspberries
makes approx 6 cupcakes
To make the cupcakes -
- – Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4 and line a cupcake or muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Whisk in the egg until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Whisk in the milk and vanilla.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the salted caramel sauce.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases, filling each one about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting and filling -
- Heat the milk and vanilla paste in a heavy based saucepan. Cook on a medium heat and bring to just under the boil.
- Whisk together the eggs, flour and sugar in a separate bowl until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the milk, whisking continuously.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and bring to the boil, whisking all the time. Turn the heat down slightly and whisk for another minute
- Pour the mixture into a clean bowl and cover with cling film to prevent a skin forming. Leave to cool.
- Once the mixture is cool whisk the double cream until soft peaks form. Then fold the whipped cream into the cooled cooked cream mixture.
- Cute small cubes out of the top of each cupcake.
- Mix a generous tablespoon of the cream with the raspberry jam. Pipe or spoon an equal amount of the jam and cream into the hole in each cupcake.
- Pipe a swirl of cream around the edge of each cupcake and fill wish fresh raspberries.